Tuesday 17 April 2007

Promise Me- Harlan Coben

"Harlan Coben always has a good tale to tell, and he knows how to present it with elegance, pace and loads of tension" Guardian.

At 2.17 a.mMyron Bolitar's mobile phone rings. It's Aimee Biel, a frightened teenager who has called the one adult who had promised to help her if she ever got into trouble. Myron collects Aimee from a cold street corner but she persuades him not to take her home, but to drop her off at an unknown address in the suburbs. And, with a final wave from a darkened porch, Aimee disappears into the night....
Driven by guilt, and the desparation of her family, Myron is determined to find Aimee- whatever the cost. But he doesn't realise just how far people will go to protect the ones they love.

This was my first Harlan Coben novel and therefore, until I read the author's note at the end, I did not realise that Myron was a regular Coben character. Although I enjoyed it and read it in practically one sitting, I would not say that I'd be in a hurry to read the others in the series. I just found the level of violence in the suburbs slightly unbelievable and many of the characters, especially Win, just got on my nerves. The ending, I felt was a little trite for my taste, everything tying in together in that way, but I shan't give anything away. Myron, a failed basketball star/ private detective/ sports agent to the stars was a little corny in comparison to some leading characters of crime writers.
The plot did keep me turning the pages, the short chapters certainly helped with this. Overall the novel just wasn't satisfying enough for me.

"A book to read in one gulp" Telegraph.

No comments: